The Mount Hotel, Malton
This building, situated in a very prominent position at the entrance to Malton from York was constructed in 1870 as a girl’s school. It later became a hotel before falling into disuse and neglect for several years. As part of the project of resortation, a new themed bar was inserted into the lower ground floor with the reuse of existing arches to form and entrance and glazing.
The design of the fenestration infill joinery was inspired by gothic form and details to be sympathetic both to the immediate context and the spirit of the building in general.